Purposes, Processes and Criteria
TEFANZ AWARDS are a mechanism by which the organisation signals the value placed on teaching, research and administration related to teacher education. The awards recognise outstanding contributions and excellence by individuals. They encourage members to aspire to excellence and to develop a deep understanding of teacher education in order to teach and design high quality programmes that produce independent, critically reflective, effective beginning teachers and foster innovation in support of the TEFANZ goals. For the first time in 2022 we are calling for nominations for TEFANZ Fellows. TEFANZ Fellow reflects an outstanding contribution to teacher education in Aotearoa in ways that further the objectives of the Association.
• Nominees must be teacher educators from an institution that is a member of TEFANZ.
• Awards are conferred every two years and usually coincide with the TEFANZ conference.
• Two teacher educators from an institution that is a member of TEFANZ may nominate a teacher educator for an award.
• Nominations should consist of a written statement from each person making the nomination; a copy of the nominee’s CV and may also include letters of support.
• An awards committee comprising the Chair of TEFANZ (or their nominee), two other members of TEFANZ and an independent consultant with an understanding of the field will consider the nominations and decide on recipients of the awards.
Please download and include this cover page with your nomination of persons for the awards of Sustained Excellence in Teacher Education and Emerging Leadership in Teacher Education.
TEFANZ Awards Nomination Form Updated March 2022
Please download and include this cover page with your nomination of persons for TEFANZ Fellow and have referees’ complete and submit a statement in support, using the referees’ report below.
NOMINATION FOR TEFANZ Fellow 2022
TEFANZ Fellow- Nomination Referees statement 2022
In 2022 nominations for all awards close 20th June. Please send documents to firstname.lastname@example.org Include TEFANZ awards in the subject line.
NATURE OF AWARDS
The awards of Sustained Excellence in Teacher Education and Emerging Leadership in Teacher Education consist of a citation and a taonga and are open to all teacher educators who are members of a TEFANZ organisation. The recipients will be announced and presented at an appropriate TEFANZ event (conference or forum). The award of Fellow of TEFANZ results in privledges of: inclusion on an Honours Roll, receipt of any TEFANZ publications free of charge, rights to attend and speak at the AGM, exemption from individual membership dues (if the Fellow is not employed in a TEFANZ member institution).
Sustained Excellence in Teacher Education Award
This award is designed to provide recognition for significant contribution over time to teacher education.
Normally nominees will have:
• held significant leadership roles in teacher education and have a national profile.
• completed at least 10 years service as a teacher educator.
• demonstrated sustained excellence in teaching and research and a deep understanding of teacher education.
• a record of innovative practice in area/s such as: curriculum development and design, assessment or evaluation of practice.
In addition, evidence of some or all of: working and interacting with student teachers, contributions to teacher education at a national level, mentoring and support of colleagues within and beyond their institution will be looked for.
Emerging Teacher Educator Award
Normally nominees will have:
• completed up to 10 years of service as a teacher educator.
• demonstrated excellence in teaching.
• established a record of engagement in research and publication.
In addition, evidence of some or all of: innovative practice, emerging leadership and on-going links to the profession will be looked for.
Award of TEFANZ Fellow
Nominees will be recognised as having demonstrated sustained outstanding leadership and contributions to TEFANZ and teacher education through high quality research, teacher education policy developments, leadership and practice.